Monday, August 24, 2020

Vuja De: Something Familiar Visited With Newer Perspective

What is about a movie which stays with you? Most probably the emotions it makes you go through. Or it can be the characters' journey which you find personal or relatable. Or just the story which makes you think. Being an ardent cinema admirer (almost on the verge of calling myself a cinephile) I very well understand, the impact it has on me. 

Most of the time to watch my choicest list I have to align my mood to the movie I am about to watch. Of course, some have magical experience but few can be disappointing as well. And that is why I am quite selective recently. Because Cinema is just not a 2-3 hours time pass or mere entertainment for me. Cinema is about experiencing '' MY EMOTIONAL SELF'' which otherwise I hide somewhere in the realm of an uncharted territory. I do understand with utmost honesty why people find me insensitive, emotionless, moody and so on. But the Alexithymiac like me should not mind because I can't pretend what I am not and I am quite a failure in maintaining relationships.

Recently I revisited Jab Harry Met Sejal. By the way, has it ever occurred why do we feel for the same thing differently at different stages of our life? I never liked the film when I watched it for the first time. Almost discarded it as another dud. I am a huge SRK fan. I like him even in the worst roles. But maybe I expected something magical from an Imtiaz Ali movie where Shahrukh Khan is playing the lead role. It was almost like a kid about to relish his favorite chocolate...but BOOM...Tragedy strikes. I could not even enjoy the basic taste, forget about the relishing part. I felt ditched. Well yes, I may not feel stumbled by human beings but a form of an Expressive Art can certainly overstep my (non existing) emotions. How come? Well, I usually try not to question my immediate feelings. Thoroughly disappointed I had let it go. But surprisingly she loved it. I was quite surprised because she was not an SRK fan. She said if I remember correctly, there was something about Harry that appealed to her. That line stayed with me. Yes,  I did wonder...what did I miss? 

So quite recently, I have made a List of Films I want to Revisit or Re-watch. And I had #JabHarryMetSejal in that list as well. Maybe I wanted to still know after many years, what did I miss. And thanks to my selective memory syndrome I forgot everything I watched. So it was almost like a new film as if watching for the first time. I often can revisit the movies with completely new eyes, almost like the feeling of Vuja De. Something familiar yet not. Seeing it differently with a new perspective and most importantly different state of mind. This time JHMS felt so personal. Maybe because I am in a different phase of life OR it could be just the Relatability Quotient of Harry's emptiness...his constant seeking of something unknown...his restlessness...his sense of Hiraeth...everything was so Palpable. It reminded me of something I wrote long back...for Her.

The nakedness of my soul is invigorating

For me to engulf into...

But yes, You are the one,

I trusted with all my inhibitions and vulnerability.

----

Yes, I do believe ...What You Seek is...Seeking You. 
 













Reintroducing myself to Harry was like entering my own mind space...and be there without questioning much and reliving some moments unconditionally. Thank you Imtiaz Ali for making such cinema which gives newer perspectives even in the ordinariness. 














Let there be Peace.

- Morpheus

1 comment: